Monday, January 28, 2013

Knitted Cowls: A Love Story

This past Christmas, I wanted to do more handmade gifts. I always say I am going to do this but then life gets away from you and you're left with abandoned supplies, unfinished scarves and broken dreams. Since I was on a clutch-making rampage at the time, a bunch of people got those, but I wanted to knit a cowl for my mom.

I used this pattern and it came out beautifully. I've never used Bernat Roving yarn before but it quickly became a favourite. And buying my first pair of circular needles was awesome until I realized I bought too-long ones so knitting in the round as instructed wasn't an option. But I do love how knitting on the subway is no longer a hazardous activity. :)

I enjoyed this pattern so much that I immediately made another one for my friend in "Royal". Then another for myself. This time in Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick in "Butterscotch". Selfies ensued.

Cozy happiness.

And, eff it, after an impromptu post-work Mary Maxim trip I bought yarn and promptly started my fourth with Bernat Roving "Low Tide". Absolutely beautiful. But I did a basket weave knit stitch this time.

Yes, I am in love.

First attempt at the basket weave!

The number of knitters and crocheters at work has grown exponentially over the past while so it is always a good idea to have a project on hand for lunchtime knitting sessions. Now that I have exhausted the cowls, headbands are next!

4 comments:

  1. I love my Christmas cowl! I have worn it many times on long, cold walks. It keeps me so warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing job on the basket weaving! its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete